Monday, February 05, 2007

You can't buy a game

Salvation from your slice is available again for only $400 or so.

Heard that one before?

Thought so.

Another round of golf club wizardry is hitting the market, this time in the curious shape of square-headed drivers that look like something your 3-year-old might play with in the yard.

They’re all the rage, or will be once winter leaves and most of us start playing golf again.

Their magic is in (pardon my use of a scientific term here but it’s necessary even if I’m not quite sure what it means) the moment of inertia, which sounds like something you should talk to your doctor about.

With more technology than most space flights have, golf club makers have found a way to make your mis-hits go straighter. They promise.

That’s important because a round of golf isn’t defined by the quality of your good shots. It’s the quality of your misses that matters most.

There’s a better way, however, than plunking down four bills on a new driver.

Spend it on lessons from a good teaching pro.

New technology doesn’t fix bad swings. I have the used equipment to prove it.

Teachers – and practice – do.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was amazed at Golf mag's December(?) cover story "You can buy a game." That is so wrong of them, it's not funny. I have improved my game with their tips not their "club test" articles. I was sorely disappointed in the mag but I understand they have to hep their advertisers happy. The guys like my friends who think they can buy a better swing won't stop, but it's pretty irresponsible to tell 24 handicappers they can get better by spending $400 on a new driver. That's 4-5 lessons from a decent pro that could really help them out.