Monday, March 12, 2012

Clemson's Glover finally ready to go

After a couple of false starts, Lucas Glover is ready to get his 2012 season underway this week at the Transitions Championship in Tampa. Glover hasn't played on tour this year after spraining his knee windboarding in Hawaii prior to the season-opening Hyundai Tournament of Champions. He planned to play in Puerto Rico last week but wasn't certain he could handle five or six days of walking so he opted for one more week of rehab. Now, Glover is ready to go. "One hundred percent with the knee," Glover said Monday on his way to Tampa. "I'm in good gym shape. I've just got to see what kind of golf shape I'm in now. "I've been practicing the last five or six weeks as much as I could, but the walking thing was the only thing that held me back...I feel like the knee is 100 percent but I've got to put my body through the week." Glover will be in Charlotte to defend his Wells Fargo Championship title in early May, by which time he hopes to have a handful of tournaments behind him. After the Transitions, he plans to play the Shell Houston Open, the Masters and the RBC Heritage at Hilton Head. "I haven't had to make a putt that matters for anything since the first week of November so I'll be anxious and interested to see how I handle it," Glover said. "I haven't forgotten how to play or forgotten how to compete but it's just one of those things where it might take some time to get in the right frame of mind." Glover is among the early commitments to the Wells Fargo Championship, joining a list that includes Webb Simpson, Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan, Bill Haas, Johnson Wagner and Nick Watney among others. Tickets are available at www.wellsfargochampionship.com

0 comments: