Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Woods Rules Himself Out Of U.S. Open

   Tiger Woods will not play in the U.S. Open next week at Congressional due to continuing problems with his left knee and Achilles.

   Woods made the announcement on his website today.


  "I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed. I hope to be ready for AT&T National, the next two majors and the rest of the year."
   It's just one more twist in Woods' career that has veered off course over the past 20 months. Woods, still at 14 career major championship victories, has not won a major since he beat Rocco Mediate in a playoff to win the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines. 
   This will be the first U.S. Open Woods has missed since 1994.

0 comments: