Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Phil talks Masters, Hall of Fame and more


    Phil Mickelson walked, well, actually he stumbled up a step, into his pre-tournament press conference Wednesday at the Wells Fargo Championship and seeing the media waiting for him, tossed a little dart.

   "You guys didn't see my video?" Mickelson asked, an obvious jab at Tiger Woods' decision to bypass a pre-tournament media session this week in favor of answering questions from fans on his website.

   Mickelson then spent 15 minutes talking about the state of his game, the triple-bogey he made on No. 4 in the final round of the Masters, his impending Hall of Fame induction and other matters. He was engaged, enthusiastic and fully Phil.

   Asked if he's ever been guilty of playing not to lose, he smiled and said, "If anything, I might go a little bit overboard the other way, which we can all attest."

   On his Masters disappointment: "On the weekend I felt I played about as well as I ever have. I didn't make a single bogey other than the mishap on 4...If (the tee shot) is a yard short or a yard  long, I probably make par because what shot do I practice there? I practice the chip from the drop area...because it's straight uphill."

  On entering the Hall of Fame: "I'm very appreciative of being inducted this year. I wouldn't be opposed to moving the age to 50 because with fitness being a bigger part of the tour, guys' careers are going longer."

   On his future: "I feel like these next five years could be the best of my career."

0 comments: