Sunday, July 17, 2011

Simpson Heading Home On A High

   SANDWICH, England -- Not entirely sure what he would need in his first Open Championship experience, Webb Simpson packed three suitcases for his weeklong stay alongside the English Channel.

   He also brought his wife, Dowd, their five-month old son, James, and a friend to stay in the house he rented in town.

   Simpson left Royal St. George's and the Open Sunday evening with a top-20 finish and a deeper appreciation for the different style of golf demanded by true links.

   "Overall, it was a great experience," said Simpson, who shot 73 on Sunday to finish at 5-over par 285. "I realized how much there is to learn.

   "But it's fun golf. It was a battle the last two days. I must have taken my rain jacket on and off 10 times (Sunday) but I'm pleased."

S   impson said it struck him that he wasn't eligible for the Arnold Palmer Invitational on the PGA Tour in March but now he's played in two major championships, making the cut in both. He's also 11th on the PGA Tour money list and points standings with the playoffs approaching.

  The week at St. George's did nothing to hurt Simpson's confidence.

   There are still some things Simpson needs to learn for his return trip to the Open Championship. He didn't drive while in England.

   "I was a little too scared to do that," Simpson said. "I felt like everybody would get sideswiped."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one to notice this, (or am I crazy).........it seems that golf has become a more "gentlmanly" game since TW has been away for a while. Or, is it that more non-Americans are winning and they handle winning with more grace and dignity. I, for one, don't miss the fist pumping, angry scowl, that Tiger brought to the game, although based on his popularity, I seem to be in the minority there.