Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Snedeker talks about his tears

Before walking into the media center for a pre-tournament interview at the Verizon Heritage Tuesday, Brandt Snedeker jokingly asked his agent to make sure there was a box of tissues nearby in case he started crying again.

Snedeker endeared himself to a universe of golf fans Sunday when after shooting 77 in the final round of a Masters he might have won, he couldn’t stop the tears while talking about his experience.

With his long blond hair curling out from under his visor and the emotion of a churning week written on his face, Snedeker finally had to bury his face in the towel on his shoulders when the tears unexpectedly hit.

The funny thing is Snedeker was thrilled with his Masters week, finishing tied for third there.

"I didn’t want anyone to think I was crying over spilled milk or something like that," Snedeker said. "I was emotional because I came so close to living out one of my dreams and I wasn’t able to do it."

Snedeker said he couldn’t remember the last time he cried and said he understood exactly how Len Mattiace felt when he cried after losing the 2003 Masters to Mike Weir in a playoff.

"I realize why he was crying like a 16-year old girl whose prom date didn’t show up," Snedeker said.

He’s fine, really he is. In fact, Snedeker is a good bet to contend at Harbour Town this week.

"I love this place," he said.
And he was smiling.

0 comments: