Thursday, June 04, 2009

Two stokes of magic and $25,000

Jeff Masilun's buddies have always given him a hard time about his putting.

But not anymore.

On Monday, Masilun won $25,000 by holing two long putts during a special putting contest that was part of a charity tournament held at Ballantyne Country Club to raise money for the Morrison YMCA.

"It's shocking more than anything," Masilun said.

This was the third year Masilun has played in the event with a foursome from Ballantyne Chiropractic Group. In addition to the tournament and raffle, there's a putting contest.

It starts with a 25-foot putt and anyone who holes it gets to advance to the finals.

That's where Masilun's magic kicked in.

He holed the first putt -- something only three golfers out of 96 did that day -- and advanced to the finals.

"I figured it was going to be some kind of circus putt so I had that in my mind before I got there," Masilun said.

He was right.

The challenge was to hole a 50-foot putt that was relatively flat for the first 35 feet before breaking over a ridge and turning three to four feet to the left.

To make it more challenging, Masilun was not allowed to watch the player putting before his turn arrived.

No worries.

"When I got over it, I could just see the line," Masilun said. "I walked up to the ridge to look at the rest of it. I picked my spot, hit my mark, had the right speed and it dropped in.

"I got lucky."

Now Masilun is $25,000 richer.

"I have no idea where to go from here," Masilun said, "but I do not need a new putter."

0 comments: